Women want Continuity of Midwifery Care in public hospitals
- Do you want more control in your pregnancy birth and postnatal care?
- Do you want care in your community or in your home?
- Do Australian women deserve best practice maternity care?
- Do you want your own midwife?
Use the below letter to help you ask for the pregnancy, birth and postnatal care you (and all women) deserve.
Download and send MC’s letter to your hospital and your MPs.
Best Practice Maternity Care
Evidence shows women who have a known, primary midwife as their lead carer throughout their pregnancy, birth and up to 6 weeks postpartum have better outcomes.
Why can’t I access this choice?
Many hospitals haven't yet established a MGP
Is it safe?
The science is clear: maternity care from a known midwife, well supported by the hospital system, is as safe, or safer, than normal maternity care. It also feels safe for women.
Is it expensive?
MGP is covered by the public hospital system, the same as the standard and team midwifery that is already offered
So why don’t hospitals and state governments support this choice?
Governments have all agreed that women should have this choice and hospitals and governments stand to receive big benefits. However, hospital managers are resistant to change and not particularly interested in women’s choices – unless women speak out.
What can we do about it?
When women speak out together, governments and health services listen.
- Download a copy of Maternity Coalition’s letter
- Edit the letter so it tells your story (you don’t need to be pregnant)
- Find postal or email addresses for your members of parliament, and your local maternity hospital
- Send them your letter
- Let Maternity Coalition know what sort of responses you get by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org